GREENBELT INTERNET ACCESS COOPERATIVE
2nd Annual Class Planning Open House
Tuesday, August 1, 2000
Greenbelt Community Center
CLASSES SUGGESTED IN MEETING:
- Word processing basics - creating a simple document, attaching files
to e-mail. Separate classes for MS-Word, Corel WordPerfect and
- SOHO graphics packages - planning a party and e-mail invitations
- Customizing the Tool Bar
- Relating file extensions to the software they came from and how to
view them without the software
- Housekeeping - maintaining the computer's functionality
- Hardware - particularly the hard disk, DEFRAG
- Software - backups, files, folders, shortcuts, icons
- How to use and reason for using Windows Explorer and My Computer
- NewDeal software for older machines - demonstration
- FTP - software (CuteFTP, WS-FTP, DiskJockey Pro 2000) and sites
- Maps on the Internet
- Cookies and security
CONTRIBUTIONS E-MAILED (from Joyce Wineland and Bruce Kuhl):
- Ways to improve the speed of access to the Internet, from the time
we click on the icon until actually viewing the page we want.
- Ways to use all the capabilities of our PCs. What we need to make
full use of the video and graphics capabilities.
- Websites with free downloads of useful software and files. Our
interests include gardening, greeting cards, sewing, travel,
- Searching - how to narrow a search, focus on the concept we have in
- Our PCs came loaded with a lot of software. Periodically, a message
pops up saying there is a free upgrade available. How do we know
which folder to load the upgrade into?
- What is all this software the PC came loaded with? How do we use it?
How do we get rid of it if we don't want it?
GIAC Vice President
August 10, 2000