GREENBELT INTERNET ACCESS COOPERATIVE
Monthly Board Meeting
April 11, 2002
Present: Peggy Bates, Mary Camp, Gilbert Lee, Doug Love, Leonie Penney
Members: Ed James
1. Meeting called to order at 7:10 PM
2. Additional issues to agenda:
- Removal of inactive Directors
- Special request from Mayor
3. Agenda approved (Peggy Bates moved, Doug Love seconded, unanimous
4. Secretary Report (Leonie Penney)
- Leonie distributed the minutes of the March 14, 2002, Board
Meeting. Some minor changes were suggested and incorporated.
They were reviewed and approved (Peggy Bates moved, Gil Lee
seconded, unanimous approval).
5. Vice President Report (Mary Camp)
- Friday, April 19, Community Center Senior Classroom,
- Mary: "Basics of Computer Viruses"
- Third week in May (date TBD)
- "Ask the Experts"
- Marianne Olah is now set up correctly.
- Mary Camp will go Saturday to Abbie Weiner to get rid of
NetZero in registry.
- Mary will buy a laptop in May.
6. Treasurer Report (Peggy Bates)
- Net income for March: $118.93
- Net income to date for 2002: $412.74
- We have 98 members and 64 connection accounts.
- Added one (Hanna) removed two (Nancy Allen, Andrew Levin).
- Nancy Revis is leaving next month.
7. System Administrator report (Anne Andersen)
- BooNet was down within the last two weeks. Ed James called and
BooNet was aware of the problem and working on it.
8. President Report (Gilbert Lee)
- Nothing to report beyond Articles of Incorporation, to be
9. Special Projects
- Went over the Annual Meeting preparation checklist and set up a
meeting on April 25 to prepare the agenda and to prepare the
- Action items:
- Gil: Reserve first Tuesday in June (June 4) for the Annual
- Gil: Determine who is coming and who is going with respect
- Mary: Send an Annual Meeting message to the membership
regarding nominees for Directors.
- Gil: Find stock postcards to stick into printer and deliver
- Peggy: Find Minutes and Actions Items from last year's
Annual Meeting and send around.
- Gil: Check out the trophy store.
NEW WEBMAIL SOFTWARE
- Jim Bates will look into setting up the WebMail professional
version to include mailboxes, etc., after he gets Linux up and
running on his own computer.
GIAC ONLINE APPLICATION FORM
- Anne Andersen was going to work on an application form for
GIAC. Haven't heard from her.
- Peggy will call Maureen Gaffney about promotional products to
see if she can join us for the next meeting.
- Mary will bring a catalog with products we could put the logo
10. Audit Committee Report (Doug Love)
- Met April 1, 2002. Need to write report.
- Gil is working on the GIAC Audit for Idiots.
- Still need to audit handling of new members and resignations
with respect to member equity transactions.
- Next meetings on April 15 and April 22, 7:30 PM, at Peggy's
11. Legal Committee Report (Doug Love)
- Doug is trying to put together the application for GIAC for
- Doug will make a copy of the 501c application from the
Astronomy Club and give it to Peggy so she can gather the
financial information needed for our application.
ARTICLES OF INCORPORATION UPDATE
- Each monthly meeting we will review part of the Articles of
Incorporation to further the tax exempt initiative.
- Reviewed Articles I and II in the draft. There are minor
typographical errors that Gil Lee will fix. (Peggy Bates moved
to accept the first two articles as amended, Doug Love
seconded, unanimous approval.)
12. Voice Mail Duties (301-419-8044)
- Gil: Mar 31 - Apr 6
- Doug: Apr 7 - Apr 13
- Anne: Apr 14 - Apr 20
- Mary: Apr 21 - Apr 27
- Leonie: Apr 28 - May 4
- Peggy: May 5 - May 11
- Gil: May 12 - May 18
13. Additional Issues
REMOVAL OF INACTIVE DIRECTORS
- Karl Grotke has missed three consecutive meetings and no longer
has an active email account. (Gil Lee moved Karl Grotke be
removed as a Director for non-performance of duties, seconded
by Peggy Bates, unanimous approval.)
- Anne Andersen has missed two consecutive meetings with no
notice. Gil will call Anne and put her on notice that she is
on probation as a Director.
2001 ANNUAL MEETING ACTION ITEMS
- There were action items from last year's Annual Meeting that
are still pending. Peggy will find the minutes and report on
what the items from last year were.
- The Mayor of Greenbelt (J Davis) told Doug Love that Greenridge
House may need the help of Greenbelt.com. Greenridge House is
getting a high-speed line to allow Internet access for its
residents and may need help in getting online.
- We might be asked for help in giving classes to Greenridge
14. The meeting was closed at 9:10 PM.
SUMMARY OF ACTION ITEMS
Gil: Check on room reservations at the Police Station through the
rest of the year.
Mary: Select the "Ask the Expert" class date.
Mary: Send an email to membership soon, asking for questions about
Mary: Plan the format of the "Ask the Expert" class.
Mary: Buy the laptop in May.
Gil: Work on "GIAC Audit for Idiots" guidelines.
Peggy: Send JPEG logo to Mary.
Peggy: Call Maureen Gaffney about promotional items for GIAC. See
if Maureen is available for next meeting on May 9, 2002.
Mary: Bring the catalog with promotional products to next meeting.
Doug: Make a copy of the 501c application and give to Peggy so she
can gather the financial information needed for our
Gil: Call Anne and put her on notice that she is on probation as a
SUMMARY OF ANNUAL MEETING ACTION ITEMS
All: Meeting on April 25, 7:30 PM, at Peggy's house for work on
the agenda and the mailing to the membership.
Gil: Reserve first Tuesday in June (June 4) for the Annual
Gil: Determine who is coming and who is going with regard to
Mary: Annual Meeting message to the membership regarding nominees
Gil: Find stock postcards to stick into printer.
Peggy: Find Minutes and Action Items from last year's Annual Meeting
and send around.
Gil: Check out the trophy store.
May 16, 2002