GIAC

Monthly Board Meeting

August 8, 2002. Greenbelt Police Station

MINUTES

Present:

Board members: Peggy Bates, Mary Camp, Alexander Barnes, Leonie Penney, Anne Andersen (came later)

=== PRELIMINARIES ===

1. Call to order at 7:10 PM

2. Additional Issues to Agenda

- Request for assistance from News Review Volunteer Sujata

3. Approval of Agenda

Moved - approve agenda as amended, Peggy Bates; seconded, Mary Camp: unanimous approval

=== Monthly Reports ===

4. Secretary report (Leonie Penney)

Leonie handed out the minutes of the July 11 Board Meeting.

Moved - approve corrected minutes, Peggy Bates, seconded Mary Camp: unanimous approval

5. The status of the July 11 Action items were reviewed.

One of these items referred to the transmission of minutes to Neil for posting on the web. But

Neil no longer does this. Fortunately, Alexander volunteered to take over this duty. The

relevant current action item (see 13 below) reflect this change.

Also: the old action item regarding informing the membership on the IE security issue: this

issue has been overcome by events.

Twelve other items were carried over, some with updated wording (see under 13. below)

6 Vice President report (Mary Camp) Classes (all are taking place at the Community Center, and all are given by Mary)

- The July 24 class "Alternatives to MicroSoft products" and the August 8 class "How to Buy a

Computer" were well attended.

- September: Mary not available

- October ?: "File Management"

- November, "How to Buy a Computer"

Audit Committee Status

- Mary will finish Review of Audit Report (only grammatical errors have to be corrected),

sign and pass on to Doug.

Mary will not be able to attend the next Board Meeting.

7. Treasurer report (Peggy Bates)

Financial report

-Net income for July: $65.99 Net income for 2002 so far: $469.15

Membership report

-We have 100 members and 63 connection accounts.

-Marianne Olah discontinued her membership

8. System Administrator report (Peggy Bates)

The virus protection an/or spam blocking problems still have to be addressed by BooNet. . BoonNet is planning on a merger, which will influence the solution of these problems. Peggy will keep up our contact with them. Alexander has taken over the function of posting our Minutes on our site.

9. Legal Committee (Gilbert Lee)

Gil e-mailed articles 1 and 2 of the Articles of Incorporation (the old and amended new versions).

On October 3, at 7 PM, (Thursday night) the directors will meet at Peggy’s house to finish reviewing and approving the amendments.

10. Special Projects

a) New Web Mail Software

BooNet may be changing their package. Jim Bates has been experimenting. Alexander will be involved.

b) GIAC web application

Anne reported no progress this month.

Doug offered to assist.

c) Labor Day Festival

Mary will send a request for Labor Day volunteers for both the Parade and the Booth to our membership.

Doug will help (as usual) to set up and tear down the Booth.

August 22, 7:30 p.m.: Labor Day planning meeting at Peggy’s house.

11. Voice Mail Duties (301-419-8044)

Mary: Aug 4 - Aug 10

Doug: Aug 11 - Aug 17

Leonie: Aug 18 - Aug 24

Gil: Aug 25 - Aug 31

Anne: Sep 1 - Sep 7

Alexander: Sep 8 - Sep 14

Peggy: Sep 15 - Sep 21

Gil: Sep 22 - Sep 28

12. Additional Issues

- Insurance: Peggy called Dan Corrigan, gave him the info he needed. He would call her back,

but never did. Leonie will "prod" him by telephone.

- Sujata Deb Roy, a volunteer with the News Review, needs help accessing FTP. Peggy will help.

13. Action Items:

Carried over from last Board meeting:

Anne: Work on GIAC web-application

Gil: e-mail next amended article to the board members for review

Leonie: Send May 9 and June 13 minutes to Alexander for posting

Leonie: Prod Corrigan to call Peggy

Mary: Send request for volunteers on Labor Day Booth and Parade to members

Mary: Give Receipt to Peggy for Supplies and Software

Mary: Finish review of and sign Audit Report, pass on to Doug

Mary: ) Test e-mail links for officers on web page to giac@greenbelt.com

Peggy: ) mailto:GIAC@greenbelt.com>

Peggy: Put out a call for a volunteer to prepare and coordinate a customer satisfaction survey

Peggy: Call Maureen Gaffney about promotional items for GIAC

Peggy: Update accounting for Instructor Credits

Peggy: Contact Boonet again re virus and spam programs (planning on merging)

New action items

Everybody: review Articles of Incorporation, send comments to Gil

Mary: 3-4 membership kits for Board members(give at Labor Day Festival or Board Meeting)

Peggy: have BooNet set up right-permission for Alexander

13. Closed meeting at 8:20 pm.