GIAC

 Monthly Board Meeting

November 13, 2003.   Police Station

 MINUTES

 

 

Present: Board members: Douglas Love (Chair), Mary Camp, Neil McLeod, Ed James, Alexander Barnes and Leonie Penney.  Member: Peggy Bates.

 

=== PRELIMINARIES ===

1. Call to order at 7:08 PM

2. Additional Issues to Agenda

    Renumber all items from # 13 on by 1 (13 becomes 14 etc.)

    Add  item 13:  Spam Report (Neil McLeod)   

3. Approval of Agenda

    Expanded  Agenda was unanimously approved.

 

=== MONTHLY REPORTS ===

 

4. Secretary report (Leonie Penney)

a) Leonie  handed out the minutes of the October 9, 2003  Board Meeting.

    Some typos were corrected, some statements were clarified.

    The amended minutes were unanimously approved, and will be posted.

b) Last month’s action item:

    Leonie handed the listing of the Names of the Presidents of Greenbelt Home-Owner Associations to Neil.

 

5. Treasurer’s report (Peggy Bates)

    a. Financial Report

        Peggy handed out Balance Sheet and Profit and Loss Statements. They have a different   format, as they include estimates for November and December, thus giving an approximation of  how much to spend this year.  The Profit and Loss Statement showed an estimated Total Net Income for 2003 of $ 616.71.  The negative Net Ordinary Income for October is due to payment of our phone bill and of our P.O. Box. However, not all of Mary’s expenses have yet been included.  Note the increase in our Fixed Assets in October, due to the purchase of our Projector.

Regarding how to spend and how to record the spending:

Neil will look up the depreciation rules for small businesses. Can we expense or depreciate: what are the rules? And, if we have a choice: what is better?

     b. Membership Report

         We got one more member for a total of 55 members.

New membership application: Scott Legendre.  Neil will forward the facts to Mary, who  will send a packet.

     c. Last month’s action items:

*  Send to the Board an e-mail for approval of the purchase of a bulb (around $ 400).

See under 6 below.

*  Send 1 more mailing to "dead" members; if non-responsive, transfer money to General Fund

Neil will help Peggy: (1) mail coupons to members who want them (see also 7a below).

(2) send 1 more mailing to “dead” members. If non-responsive, transfer money to General Fund  

*  Get the second signatory from the B.o.A.

Doug and Peggy will get together on this: Doug will set up an appointment.

       

6. Vice President report (Mary Camp)

Mary handed out membership kitts.    

     a.  Classes. 

     October 29, Neil gave a class “How to Can SPAM” November 12, Mary gave her class on "How to buy a Computer".   No classes in December. In January: class by Neil on firewall or virus, or spying?

     b   Action items from last month

* Mary bought a projector, and showed it off. Wow!!  She also bought a subscription to Symantec’s 2004 Anti-Virus software (for the laptop).    And Doug gave Mary a mouse.   The

Board approved to buy a bulb for up to $ 350.-   Purchase of a surge-protector was discussed.

     c   This month’s action items:

* Send Peggy a list of 2003 classes, instructor’s names and what to do with stipend.

* Send Neil a list of classes and their instructors from October 2000 up to the present.

* e-mail all Board members a request for help during a class.

* e-mail all members announcement of next class. Anybody who wants to help sends  reply to     everybody, to prevent duplicate help.

* Buy Mail Washer Pro for laptop.

* Make a wish-list of items to be purchased before December 31.

 

7.  President's Report

Last month’s Action Items: 

* Promotional Discount e-mail to all members

Not yet done. Wants to include asking for volunteers. Peggy suggests to include with her Discount coupon (see 5c above).

Note: On December 8 Neil and Mary will help Peggy with assembling stuffing.

*  Send an e-mail to all our members, asking for people with legal training

This refers to the Legal Committee(see 12.c  below). Neil and Doug will meet with Clement Lau.   *  Write ad for System Administrator, once Task list for same is complete

Task list is adequate. Will write ad and sent info also to Neil and Membership.

*  Look into possibility of an Intern

Will do this in next weeks

*  Identify who was Secretary on dates of missing Board-meeting Minutes

Done, but cannot find paper. If found: people will have to be contacted.

*  Discuss with Comcast person sharing of high-speed access

Comcast does not want to talk to us. Looked into other possibilities. Will give Leonie report to include in Minutes.

* High-speed access for GATE, GIAC classes

Alternative to high speed service: use City’s DSL service? (Neil)

      

8.   System Administrator report (Peggy Bates and Doug Love)

* What has been done this past month:

Some people had problems getting hooked up - this was taken care off (was Boonet problem).   

* President to write an ad for System Administrator.   See under 7 above.   

  

9.  Webmaster Report (Neil McLeod)

     a Calendar update

Neil is in the process of building a Calendar for 2004

     b Action items:

* Organize procedural decisions made during Board Meetings.

ongoing

* Liquidate “Dead” members issue

Works on this with Peggy. See 5c above

* Determine from Boonet what tools are available for managing user mailspace.

ongoing

* Respond to Network Solutions inquiry about expiration of Greenbelt.com domain

Paid up till 2008. Neil will write them

 

10.  Director’s Report (Ed James)

Action Item:  Continue setting up WiFi access point at home.

Bought an 802.11b WAP (Belkin F5D6310), added it to my ehternet hub, and got it working.

Described next steps. Is considering a Letter to the Editor; “who wants to join?”

 

11. Director’s Report (Alexander Barnes)

a   Action Item: Penn Camera storage charges $0.29/MB/year; that would be

less than $.12/5MB/mo/.  GIAC charges $2 for that, more than 16 times as

much; and, currently it isn't costing GIAC anything.

Alexander also pointed out that as long as we charge more than we spend we

will have trouble maintaining our non-profit status.

Talked at Co-op Annual Meeting. Is trying to get them aboard.

            

12. Legal Committee (Doug Love)

      a. Regarding the 501(c)(3)'s efforts: the State charges Property Tax!

      b. Doug will change the GIAC Resident Agent with the Maryland Corporation Commission

      c  Find persons with Legal training: see under 7. above.   

 

13. Spam Committee (Neil McLeod)

See posted Report. Neil commented on

     a Mail Washer Users

     b Mail Washer Pro Upgrade

     c Other GIAC user Spam software: Spam Cop, Spam Killer.

 

14.  Audit Committee (Mary Camp)

Appointed in December to begin the Annual Audit in January

 

15. Anyone: Find in previous minutes minimum amount allowed in checking/savings account.

 

=== OLD BUSINESS ===

 

16.  Director's Responsibilities.

       Remains Tabled

 

17.  Review Greenbelt.com services offered (Neil McLeod):

      a  Establish an ISP Committee.

- Neil, Alexander, Ed and Leonie volunteered.

- Develop and propose new service package(s). Alexander wants to do a poll of the members.        

       b Endymion Professional Edition.

Boonet tells us we don’t need it. We can get it for free, but Boonet has to be pressured in to it.

Let ISP committee discuss this.

 

=== NEW BUSINESS ===

 

18. Additional Issues:

      a   News Review Account (Neil McLeod)

Neil met three times with them this week. They want to dump us. Neil works with Eileen Farnham.  She uses Mail Washer.  Endymion does not read well incoming mail.  The fax-machine and e-mail share the same telephone line.

The News Review is a tenant in the Community Center. Possibility of using City’s Broadband Access? Neil is helping Jim Giese and Diane Oberg writing letter to City.

      b   Review monthly financial procedures (Neil McLeod)

Problems relating to late subscriber payment and the monthly reporting cycle were resolved before this Meeting.

 

=== CONCLUSION ===

 

19. Next Meeting: December 11 at the Police Station

 

20. Voice Mail Roster:      Don’t forget to check out GIAC@greenbelt.com !!!

      Nov.  9 - Nov. 15     Alexander Barnes

       Nov. 16 - Nov. 33   Ed James

       Nov. 23 - Nov. 29   Leonie Penney

       Nov. 30 - Dec.  6     Neil McLeod

       Dec.  7 - Dec. 13     Mary Camp

       Dec. 14 - Dec. 20    Doug Love

 

21: Action items from this meeting:

A - Doug:    * Promotional Discount e-mail to all members (include with Peggy’s Discount Coupon?)

                   *  Send an e-mail to all our members, asking for people with legal training

                   *  Write ad for System Administrator. Sent info also to Neil and Membership.

                   *  Look into possibility of an Intern

                   *  Find paper on which written who was Secretary on dates of missing Board-meeting

                       Minutes. Those persons will have to be contacted!

                   *  Will change the GIAC Resident Agent with the Maryland Corporation Commission

                   *  High-speed access for GATE, GIAC classes

    - Doug and Peggy: will get the second signatory from the B.o.A.. Doug will set up an appointment.

    - Doug and Neil: will meet with Clement Lau.

B - Mary: will send packet to prospective member Scott Legendre

                 Will buy a bulb for not more than $ 350.-

                 Will send Peggy a list of 2003 classes, instructor’s names and what to do with stipend.

   She also will:

   * Send Neil a list of classes and their instructors from October 2000 up to the present.

   * e-mail all Board members a request for help during a class.  Anybody who wants to help, sends reply to

     everybody, to prevent duplicate help.

   * e-mail all members announcement of next class.

   * Buy Mail Washer Pro for laptop.

   * Make a wish-list of items to be purchased before December 31.

C - Neil:   will look up the depreciation rules for small businesses (expense and/or depreciate?)

                 will forward to Mary facts re prospective member Scott Legendre

                 will continue building a Calendar for 2004

                 will continue Organization of  procedural decisions made during Board Meetings

                 will continue determination  from Boonet what tools are available for managing user

                 mailspace

                 will write to Network Solutions re Greenbelt.com domain

    - Neil and Peggy:   will mail coupons to members who want them.

                                will send 1 more mailing to “dead” members. If non-responsive, transfer

                                money to General Fund

    - Neil, Mary and Peggy: on Dec. 8, assemble stuffing      

D - Ed      will continue setting up WiFi access point at home

E -  Anybody: *who wants to help Mary in her class will send  reply to everybody, to prevent

                       duplicate help.

                     *find in previous minutes minimum amount allowed in checking/savings account

F- ISP Committee: discuss Endymion Professional Edition to be installed at Boonet

                             develop and propose new Service Packages

 

22: Tabled Items:

Director’s Responsibilities

In December: form Audit Committee

 

23. Meeting Evaluation (Doug Love)

A lot of time was wasted being contentious about unimportant things.

 

24. Closed meeting at  9:??  pm.

 

Respectfully submitted,

Leonie Penney, Secretary