Greenbelt Internet Access Cooperative
Monthly Board Meeting - March 10, 2005
Conference Room, Greenbelt Police Station
M E E T I N G M I N U T E S
DIRECTORS: Mary Camp, Ed James, Neil McLeod (Resigned: Doug Love)
OFFICERS: Peggy Bates
GUESTS: Steve Kane
=== PRELIMINARIES ===
1. Meeting called to order at 7:03pm. (Peggy Bates)
2. Approval of Agenda (EJ moved, MC seconded, unanimous approval)
=== GUEST PRESENTATIONS ===
3. Steve Kane: Attending to observe GIAC Board. Steve has overall computer background and is interested in ways to reach out to the community, particularly getting older people on computers.
=== MONTHLY REPORTS ===
4. Secretary (Mary Camp) [acting]
· Approval of meeting minutes
- January 13 meeting – Final minutes. (EJ moved, MC seconded, unanimous approval)
- February 10 meeting - Draft minutes. E-mail any changes.
5. Treasurer (Peggy Bates)
· Financial report
- Negative $221 for February. Negative ~$330 year-to-date.
· Membership report
- 46 dial-up accounts, 8 non-connection accounts. Lost 1 member. Total of 89 members.
6. Vice President (Mary Camp)
· Class on Firefox and Thunderbird planned in mid-April; manual not available until March 23.
7. President [vacant]
8. System Administrator (Peggy Bates / Neil McLeod)
· Significant support activity during past month. (Duty Directors)
- Discussed handling GIAC voice mail. If message is picked up, send e-mail to the GIAC mailbox.
· Greenbelt News Review network upgrade. (Neil)
- Linksys wireless and DSL service have been installed.
- Peggy, Ed and Neil will meet at Community Center to test GNR WiFi signal range and strength.
· Enable subscriber access to control panel mailing lists. (Neil)
- Started testing options to decide which to offer.
· Need to update ‘all_principals’ list to reflect change in Board members. (Mary)
- Peggy will update list.
9. Webmaster (Neil McLeod)
· Greenbelt News Review photo sharing. (Neil)
- Agreement in concept has been made with Mary Lou Williamson to access and review all photos submitted to GNR and to contact photographers about putting images in Greenbelt Gallery.
· Upgrade GIAC Website format.
- Special Meeting: All Directors will meet at 1:00pm on Saturday, March 19, at Greenbelt Police Station to design a new GIAC webpage layout.
10. Director (Ed James)
· New Deal Café WiFi is stable.
· Upgrade Perl script program to determine disk usage.
- Neil previously set up EDJAMES.COM Control Panel for Ed’s private testing. Ed needs to schedule a CP orientation meeting with Neil.
· Ed will compile an agenda for the April 14 Board meeting.
11. Audit Committee (Mary Camp) [acting]
· All but one item is done for the 2003 audit; then the report can be written.
12. Legal Committee (Neil McLeod) [acting]
· Discussion of tax-exempt initiative. Doug Love gave his folder on the subject to Ed. If necessary to get it, Neil will pick up folder from Ed. Ed will be on the Legal Committee.
· Need to specify a new GIAC Resident Agent to replace Doug Love.
· Neil to get signature form for checkbook from Bank of America.
=== OLD BUSINESS ===
=== NEW BUSINESS ===
14. Additions to Agenda
· Discussed February 10 meeting.
· Discussed accelerated dial-up service.
· Discussed Greenbelt.com domain hosting setup fee--will not charge to non-profits.
· Neil will prepare amendment to Bylaws for annual meeting vote to cover situation of committees with fewer than three members.
=== CONCLUSION ===
15. Voice/E-mail Roster Don't forget to check GIAC@greenbelt.com
Mar 06 - Mar 12 Neil McLeod
Mar 13 - Mar 19 Ed James
Mar 20 - Mar 26 Mary Camp
Mar 27 - Apr 02 Ed James
Apr 03 - Apr 09 Neil McLeod
Apr 10 - Apr 16 Ed James
16. Action Items from Today's Meeting
· Peggy Bates: Send latest contacts PDF to all, accounts database to Neil; make questionnaire on service; see if check mailed to Centerway.
· Mary Camp: Finish audit; make PDF files from membership forms; install new video driver on laptop; find Norton Anti-Virus 2003 bill for Peggy; correct February minutes, write draft March minutes, send both to the Board.
· Ed James: Meet with Neil to work on Perl program; compile next Board meeting agenda.
· Neil McLeod: Amend committee bylaw; continue work on GNR network; meet with Ed; get Bank of America signature form.
17. Scheduled Meetings
· Special Meeting: 1:00pm, Saturday, March 19, at Greenbelt Police Station
· Monthly Meeting: 7:00pm, Thursday, April 14, at Greenbelt Police Station
18. Meeting adjourned at 9:45pm.
- 04/17/05 Posted by Mary Camp
- 09/01/05 Edited & reformatted by Neil McLeod