Greenbelt Internet Access Cooperative

Monthly Board Meeting - April 14, 2005

Conference Room, Greenbelt Police Station

 

M E E T I N G   M I N U T E S

 

DIRECTORS:   Mary Camp, Ed James, Neil McLeod

OFFICERS:     Peggy Bates

GUESTS:       Steve Kane

 

=== PRELIMINARIES ===

 

1.      Meeting called to order at 7:09pm (Peggy Bates)

 

2.      Approval of Agenda (EJ moved, NM seconded, unanimous approval)

 

=== GUEST PRESENTATIONS ===

 

3.      Steve Kane:  Attending to observe GIAC Board.

 

=== MONTHLY REPORTS ===

 

4.      Secretary (Mary Camp) [acting]

·         Approval of meeting minutes

-         February 10 meeting - No changes were e-mailed.  Will approve final minutes at May meeting.

-         March 10 meeting - Draft minutes will be e-mailed on Saturday.  E-mail any changes for final approval in May.

 

5.      Treasurer (Peggy Bates)

·         Financial report

-         New Deal Cafe WiFi charge received.

-         $216.02 profit projected for year-to-date.

-         Balance Sheet – March 31, 2005

-         Profit & Loss – March 31, 2005

·         Membership report

-         46 dial-up accounts, 8 non-connection accounts.  Gained one nonprofit website: Greenbelt Elementary School PTA.  Total of 90 members.

-         Membership Report – March 31, 2005

 

6.      Vice President (Mary Camp)

·         Class on “Firefox and Thunderbird” or “Desktop Customization” in May.

·         Figured out laptop/projector problem.

-         Downloaded new driver to put on laptop, which should solve display problem.

 

7.      President [vacant]

 

8.      System Administrator (Peggy Bates / Neil McLeod)

·         Significant support activity during past month. (Duty Directors)

-         Helped two members install software and customize their computers. (Mary)

·         Greenbelt News Review network upgrade. (Neil)

-         Technical Meeting:  Peggy, Mary, Ed, and Neil will meet at 7:30pm on Thursday, May 5, at Greenbelt News Review office to test WiFi signal range and strength with Linksys WRT54G router and standard 802.11g wireless card in laptop.

·         Enable subscriber access to control panel mailing lists. (Neil) – No activity

 

9.      Webmaster (Neil McLeod)

·         Keep Community Website calendar up to date each week and month. - Ongoing

·         Upgrade GIAC Website format.

-         Upgrade will be based on March 19 design meeting notes. 

-         May not use Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) or JavaScript for first cut.

-         May need new logo design for redesigned GIAC webpages (and hats).

 

10.  Director (Ed James)

·         Upgrade Perl script program to determine disk usage.

-         Still needs to schedule a CP orientation meeting with Neil.

-         Neil also set up Ed’s access (CGIMan) to GREENBELT.COM /cgi directory.

·         Will write up agenda for May 12 Board meeting.

 

11.  Audit Committee (Mary Camp) [acting]

·         All but last item done for 2003 audit and then have the report to write.

·         Committee Meeting:  1:00pm on Saturday, May 7, at Peggy’s to complete 2003 audit report and start 2004 audit.

 

12.  Legal Committee (Neil McLeod) [acting]

·         Discussion of tax-exemption initiative.  Ed gave Neil the folder he received from Doug Love.

·         Need to find new resident agent for GIAC to replace Doug Love. – No activity

·         Neil to get signature form for checkbook from Bank of America. – No activity

 

=== OLD BUSINESS ===

 

13.  Prepare for Annual Meeting.

·         Discussed bylaw change, who is up for election, food for the meeting, reserving the room and updating the online agenda.

·         Special Meeting:  All Directors will meet at 1:00pm, Saturday, May 14, at Peggy's to prepare for annual meeting.

 

=== NEW BUSINESS ===

 

14.  Additions to Agenda

 

=== CONCLUSION ===

 

15.  Voice/E-mail Roster        Don't forget to check GIAC@greenbelt.com

Apr 10 - Apr 16   Ed James

Apr 17 - Apr 22   Mary Camp

Apr 23 - Apr 30   Ed James

May 01 - May 07   Neil McLeod

May 08 - May 14   Ed James

 

16.  Action Items from Today's Meeting

·         Peggy Bates:  Send latest contacts PDF to all; accounts database to Neil; make questionnaire on webmail service; see if check mailed to Centerway; get more postcards.

·         Mary Camp:  Finish audit; make PDF files from membership forms; buy wireless device for laptop; install new video driver on laptop; reserve rooms for May class & annual meeting; e-mail Elizabeth Hubley about food for annual meeting and send her CD; correct February minutes, write draft March and April minutes, e-mail to the Board.

·         Ed James:  Meet with Neil to work on Perl program; compile next Board meeting agenda.

·         Neil McLeod:  Amend committee bylaw; continue work on GNR network; meet with Ed; get Bank of America signature form; review nonprofit papers.

 

17.  Scheduled Meetings

·         Technical Meeting:  7:30pm, Thursday, May 5, at Greenbelt News Review

·         Audit Committee:  1:00pm, Saturday, May 7, at Peggy Bates

·         Monthly Meeting:  7:00pm, Thursday, May 12, at Greenbelt Police Station

-         Minutes of the Monthly Board Meeting – May 12, 2005

·         Special Meeting:  1:00pm, Saturday, May 14, at Peggy Bates

·         Annual Meeting:  6:30pm, Tuesday, June 7, at Greenbelt Community Center

 

18.  Meeting adjourned at 8:16pm.

 

 

- 04/17/05 Posted by Mary Camp
- 08/04/05 Edited & reformatted by Neil McLeod