Greenbelt Internet Access Cooperative

Monthly Board Meeting - June 9, 2005

Conference Room, Greenbelt Police Station

 

M E E T I N G   M I N U T E S

 

DIRECTORS:   Anne Andersen, Peggy Bates, Phil Brandis, Mary Camp, Ed James, Neil McLeod (arrived 7:10)

 

=== PRELIMINARIES ===

 

1.      Meeting called to order at 7:06pm. (Peggy Bates)

Meeting chair after 7:15pm:  Neil McLeod

 

2.      Introduction of Directors, Members and Guests

Especially newly elected Directors Anne Andersen and Phil Brandis.

 

3.      Changes to Agenda (including this new format proposed by Neil)

a.      Proposals (additions/deletions) and approvals

b.      Approval of final agenda (Peggy moved, MC seconded, unanimous approval)

·         Agenda of the Monthly Board Meeting – June 9, 2005  - New format

 

4.      Changes to Meeting Rules

a.      Proposals and approvals

1)     Approved agenda changes by late arrivals (after 7:10pm) placed at the end of Additions to Agenda.

2)     Repeating of discussion for late arrivals not allowed.

3)     Off-topic comments and discussions not allowed (unless excepted).

4)     Individual comments limited to 3 minutes (unless extended).

5)     Topic discussions limited to 15 minutes (unless extended).

6)     Scheduled guest presentations limited to 15 minutes (unless extended).

7)     Unscheduled guest presentations limited to 3 minutes (unless extended).

b.      Approval of final rules (approved in principle for this meeting) (approved formally by web ballot on June 20)

·         Web Ballot D-050616

 

=== GUEST PRESENTATIONS ===

 

5.      Scheduled Guests (15 minute limit) - None

 

6.      Unscheduled Guests (3 minute limit) - None

 

=== MONTHLY REPORTS ===

 

7.      Secretary (Mary Camp) [acting]

a.      Approval of meeting minutes - Table for now (Peggy moved, EJ seconded, unanimous approval)

1)     May 12 meeting – Draft minutes not posted.

2)     April 14 meeting - Draft minutes posted April 17.

3)     March 10 meeting - Draft minutes posted April 17.

4)     February 10 meeting - Draft minutes posted April 17.

5)     Identify all minutes not finalized and approved.

b.      Old action items - None

c.      New action items

Take ownership of Secretary's webpages.

·         E-mail all available draft and final Minutes to Neil for posting.

·         E-mail all other page updates to Neil for posting.

 

8.      Treasurer (Peggy Bates)

a.      Financial report - Reported at annual meeting

·         Balance Sheet – May 31, 2005

·         Profit & Loss – May 31, 2005

b.      Membership report - Reported at annual meeting

·         Membership Report – May 31, 2005

c.      Old action items

1)     Send latest contacts PDF to all.

2)     Send accounts database to Neil.

d.      New action items

1)     Take ownership of Treasurer's webpages.

·         Peggy will update listing of what she does.

·         E-mail all other page updates to Neil for posting.

2)     Make 2003-2005 history of returned mail. – In progress

 

9.      Vice President (Mary Camp)

a.      Classes report

1)     None scheduled in June

2)     Late July/early August "How to Buy a Computer" and "How to Buy Computer Peripherals"

3)     Proposed class topics

·         Firefox and Thunderbird

·         Spyware tools

·         Q & A class for Photoshop

·         Desktop customization

b.      Old action items - None

c.      New action items

1)     Take ownership of Vice-President's webpages.

·         E-mail all updates to Neil for posting.

2)     Make sign for New Deal Cafe showing GIAC sponsorship of its WiFi.

·         Send WiFi flyer to Mary and Neil. (Peggy)

3)     E-mail members about designing new GIAC logo.

4)     Check new video driver on laptop.

5)     Make a software CD for Elizabeth Hubley.

 

10.  President (Any Directors) [acting]

a.      Old action items

1)     Changes to meeting rules. (Neil) – Done

2)     Recruiting for Principals and Committees. (Directors) – Ongoing

·         Ask Abbie Weiner about being GIAC Secretary. (Mary)

3)     Update posted Board procedures per past minutes. (Neil) - In progress

4)     Enforce Board procedures. (Directors)

5)     Obtain bank account signature forms. (Neil)

·         Have forms and will document the procedure.  Doug, Mary, and Peggy currently have signatory authority--Doug should be removed.

b.      New action items - None

 

11.  System Administrator (Peggy Bates / Neil McLeod)

a.      Technical support activity report (Duty Directors)

Leonore Gooding. (Mary)

·         She has moved to Waldorf and wants to keep her GIAC account.  Mary will get her phone number from Abbie Weiner to determine local Waldorf modem numbers.

·         Motion:  To suspend Leonora Gooding's May service fee if she did not use her account during the month while she was in the hospital/rehabilitation center.

(Peggy moved, NM seconded, unanimous approval)

b.      Old action items

1)     Greenbelt News Review network upgrade. (Neil)

·         Fast Ethernet network is running well.  Two main computers need to be set up.  Need to document procedures, settings, etc., and give orientation, then project will be done.  Progress delayed by inadequate air conditioning during window replacement project in the GNR Office.

2)     Enable subscriber access to Control Panel mailing lists. (Neil) - Done

·         Mailing list implemented for Susan Taylor.

·         Motion:  Greenbelt.com will create and maintain mailing lists for users at the following rate:  Set up the mailing list for up to 200 addresses - $5; additional addresses up to 100 - $1.  Monthly charge - $2.

(NM moved, EJ seconded, unanimous approval)

c.      New action items

1)     Take ownership of Sysman's webpages. (Peggy)

·         E-mail all page updates to Neil for posting. (Peggy)

2)     Send webmail service survey to Neil to post on web.  E-mail members to respond. (Peggy)

3)     Close suspended accounts. (Peggy)

4)     Send latest contacts PDF to all. (Peggy)

5)     Send latest accounts database to Neil. (Peggy)

6)     Make questionnaire on service. (Peggy)

7)     Verify tools for managing user mailspace. (Neil)

·         Not getting mailbox full notifications, will find out why.  Peggy is getting notices and will send to Neil.

 

12.  Webmaster (Neil McLeod)

a.      Old action items

Post procedural decisions made during Board meetings. -  In progress

b.      New action items

1)     Take ownership of Webman's webpages.

2)     Continue solicitation of photographs for Community Gallery.

3)     Continue solicitation of material for neighborhood webpages.

·         Discussed idea of using in pamphlets about GIAC.

4)     Upgrade GIAC website format.

·         Inform Board when drafts are ready for review.

 

13.  Director (Ed James)

a.      Old action items

1)     Upgrade Perl script program to determine disk usage.

·         Still needs to schedule a CP orientation meeting with Neil.

2)     Neil has /giac/cgi directory Ed can access.

b.      New action items

Take ownership of additional project(s). - Tabled till next meeting

 

14.  Director (Anne Andersen)

a.      New Director orientation

b.      New action items

Take ownership of project. - Tabled till next meeting

 

15.  Director (Phil Brandis)

a.      New Director orientation

b.      New action items

1)     Take ownership of project. - Tabled till next meeting

2)     Meet with Neil for GIAC website and voice-mail orientation.

 

16.  Audit Committee (Mary Camp) [acting]

a.      Old action items

Planned May 15 meeting was postponed.

b.      New action items

Reschedule meeting with Peggy (after June 21) to finish 2003 audit report and start 2004 audit.

 

17.  ISP Committee (Neil McLeod) [acting]

a.      Old action items

Develop and propose new service offerings - Ongoing

b.      New action items - None

 

18.  Legal Committee (Neil McLeod) [acting]

a.      Old action items

1)     Review and update legal documents. – Ongoing

2)     Review contents of Legal Committee folder. – Next

b.      New action items

1)     Complete Registered Agent change forms.

·         Needs to know who will be the agent.

2)     Finalize Articles update proposal to Members.

3)     Complete Articles filing to Maryland.

4)     Finalize Bylaws update proposals to Members.

·         Amend committee bylaw.

5)     Compete tax-exempt application to IRS.

 

19.  Membership Committee (Neil McLeod) [acting]

[Bylaws provide that SysMan, Secretary, and Treasurer are members of this committee.]

a.      Old action items

Update membership forms and save as PDF files. (Mary)

b.      New action items

This committee needs people.  Technical skills are not required, just a willingness to perform miscellaneous clerical and “gopher” tasks in support of membership recruiting.

 

=== OLD BUSINESS ===

 

20.  None

 

=== NEW BUSINESS ===

 

21.  Additions to Agenda

a.      Suggestions for next Annual Meeting.

1)     Move voting to beginning of meeting.

2)     Discussed better ways to control meeting so that it is shorter.

3)     Discussion to consider if should have nominations from the floor.

b.      Discussion of possibly offering DSL service. - Continue in July meeting

c.      Prepare for Labor Day Festival.

1)     Determine Information Day table location.

2)     WiFi at New Deal Cafe‚ but what about electricity?

3)     Recruit volunteers for booth.

4)     Fill out application and send in fee.

 

=== CONCLUSION ===

 

22.  Voice Mail Roster           (GIAC e-mail monitored daily by Ed James & Neil McLeod)

Jun 05 - Jun 11   Ed James

Jun 12 - Jun 18   Mary Camp

Jun 19 - Jun 25   Peggy Bates

Jun 26 - Jul 02   Neil McLeod

Jul 03 - Jul 09   Phil Brandis

Jul 10 - Jul 16   Anne Andersen

 

23.  Scheduled Meetings

·         Monthly Meeting:  7:00pm, Thursday, July 14, at Greenbelt Police Station

·         Minutes of the Monthly Board Meeting – July 14, 2005

 

24.  Meeting adjourned at 9:59pm.

 

 

- 06/29/05 Posted by Mary Camp

- 09/01/05 Edited & reformatted by Neil McLeod