Greenbelt Internet Access Cooperative

Monthly Board Meeting – August 11, 2005

Conference Room, Greenbelt Police Station

 

M E E T I N G   M I N U T E S

 

DIRECTORS:   Anne Andersen, Phil Brandis, Mary Camp, Ed James, Neil McLeod

MEMBERS:     Rich Majewski, Hugh Meyers

GUESTS:       Terry Henderson

 

=== PRELIMINARIES ===

 

1.      Meeting called to order at 7:00 PM

a.      Meeting chair:  Neil McLeod

b.      Recording secretary:  Terry Henderson

 

2.      Introduction of Directors, Members, and Guests

 

3.      Changes to Agenda

a.      Brief discussion of agenda and minutes as control documents (Neil)

Neil distributed hardcopies of the new document formats.

b.      Proposals (additions/deletions) and approvals

c.      Approval of final agenda (Phil moved, Terry seconded, unanimous approval)

·          Agenda of the Monthly Board Meeting – August 11, 2005

 

=== GUEST PRESENTATIONS ===

 

4.      Scheduled Guests (15 minute limit) - None

 

5.      Unscheduled Guests (3 minute limit)

a.      Rich Majewski offered his services as a volunteer in gratitude for help received restoring a file.

b.      Hugh Meyers introduced himself and volunteered to help with meetings and Labor Day Festival.

c.      Terry Henderson presented as a new volunteer and offered to assume the role of GIAC Secretary, effective immediately.

d.      Appointment of volunteers to roles and tasks

1)     The Board expressed its gratitude to Terry for volunteering and approved her appointment as GIAC Secretary (Mary moved, Phil seconded, unanimous approval)

2)     Neil will follow up with Terry’s membership paperwork and job duties orientation.

 

=== MONTHLY REPORTS ===

 

6.      Secretary (Mary Camp) [acting]

a.      Approval of meeting minutes

1)     MONTHLY MEETINGS

·         Minutes July 14, 2005 – Ballot extended to August 20

-         Web Ballot D-050808

·         Minutes Feb/Mar/Apr/May 2005Ballot posted for approval by August 20

-         Web Ballot D-050810

·         Six minutes 2000-2003 not finalized – Neil will post ballot

·         Fourteen minutes 1999-2003 not submitted – Neil and Terry will inquire

2)     ANNUAL MEETINGS

·         Minutes June 7, 2005, not submitted – Neil and Terry will inquire

·         Minutes 2004/2002/2001 not submitted – Neil and Terry will inquire

·         Minutes 2000 not finalized – Neil will post ballot

b.      Old action items

1)     Take ownership of Secretary's webpages.

·         Email all updates to Neil for posting.

2)     Submit Secretary’s 2005 Annual Meeting notes [sign-up sheet (Ed), ballot summary (Peggy/Ed), membership meeting minutes, board meeting minutes].

·         Ed has no annual meeting documents – Peggy?

3)     Add Neil’s comments to June 9, 2005 minutes and email to Neil. – Not needed

c.      New action items - None

 

7.      Treasurer (Peggy Bates) [absent]

a.      Financial report

Electronic copy?

b.      Membership report

Electronic copy?

c.      Old action items

1)     Send latest contacts PDF to all.

2)     Close suspended accounts.

3)     Send accounts database to Neil.

4)     Make 2003-2005 history of returned mail.

5)     Take ownership of Treasurer's webpages.

·         Update online Treasurer procedures.

·         Email all other updates to Neil for posting.

6)     Submit Treasurer’s 2005 Annual Meeting notes [membership report, financial report, audit reports].

7)     Check if GIAC’s $99 payment for New Deal Café modem will be returned.

8)     Implement PayPal.

9)     Relocate GIAC bank account and CD.

d.      New action items - None

 

8.      Vice President (Mary Camp)

a.      Classes report

1)     Approximately 5 people attended each of the two classes: “How to Buy a Computer” July 27 and “How to Buy Computer Peripherals” on August 3.

2)     Scheduled classes – none scheduled at this time.

3)     Discussed wireless capability as way to improve class offerings – testing can resume after Labor Day.

b.      Old action items

1)     Take ownership of Vice President's webpages.

·         Email all updates to Neil for posting.

·         Classes taught Jan 2004-Jun 2005 not posted  - Mary email list to Neil. - Done

2)     Make sign for New Deal Cafe showing GIAC's sponsorship of WiFi hotspot. – In progress

3)     Email members about contest to design new GIAC and GREENBELT.COM logos – In progress

4)     Make more membership kits – In progress

5)     Email members about classes.

6)     Email members about volunteering at GIAC’s Labor Day booth. - Done

7)     Submit Vice President’s 2005 Annual Meeting notes [classes, activities].

c.      New action items – None

 

9.      President (Any Directors) [acting]

a.      Old action items

1)     Recruiting for Principals and Committees. (Neil) – Ongoing

·         Theresa “Terry” Henderson – Invited/Accepted – Interest in Secretary role

·         Beverly Smith, Martha Dodson, Amitiyah Hyman, Penha Carvalho, Fatima Cardoso – All invited

·         Rich Majewski – Invited - Negotiating volunteer tasks

2)     Update posted Board procedures per past minutes. (Neil) - In progress

3)     Enforce Board procedures. (Directors)

4)     Submit President’s 2005 Annual Meeting notes [membership meeting agenda, “State of GIAC” outline, articles changes, bylaws changes, board meeting agenda]. (Neil) - Done

5)     Propose candidates for new GIAC banking relationship. (Neil) - Done

b.      New action items - None

 

10.  System Administrator (Peggy Bates / Neil McLeod) [Peggy absent]

a.      Significant support activity during past month (Duty Directors)

1)     Martha Dodson (Neil)

·         Resolved Windows 95 Internet Explorer problems by deleting Erol’s DNS numbers and removing a resident 1995-vintage printer interface.

2)     Amitiyah Hyman (Neil)

·         Tentatively resolved Windows XP Internet Explorer problems by removing AOL and expired McAfee software.  Continuing to monitor OS stability.

3)     Maria da Penha Carvalho (Neil)

·         Set up new Windows XP subscriber.  Spent 30+ minutes remembering to append ‘@greenbelt.com’ to connection username.  L  ¡ cable modem user

4)     Mary-Jean Secoolish (Neil)

·         Converted MJ’s mailbox to an auto-forward (to Comcast).

5)     Greenbelt News Review (Neil)

·         Resolved “network outage” crisis by rebooting station that houses their shared data files.

6)     Catherine Holcombe (Mary)

·         Requested help printing photo attachments with Windows XP.

b.      Old action items

1)     Greenbelt News Review network upgrade status. (Neil) – Activity can resume after Labor Day

2)     Take ownership of SysMan's webpages. (Peggy)

·         Email all page updates to Neil for posting. (Peggy)

3)     Send services feedback survey to Neil to post on web; email members to respond. (Peggy)

4)     Close suspended accounts. (Peggy)

5)     Verify tools for managing user mailspace. (Neil) – No progress

·         Forward mail quota messages to Neil. (Peggy) – Ongoing

6)     Submit 2005 Annual Meeting notes [ISP report]. (Peggy)

7)     Rename mailing lists ‘all_principals’ and ‘all_users’. (Neil) - Done

·         Now called ‘giac_principals’ and ‘giac_users’.

8)     Update work order documentation. (Neil) – No progress

9)     Implement non-profit hosting program. (Neil)

·         Qualifying documentation for existing non-profit accounts

-         laborday, gespta, lakeside, sthughkofc, lions

·         Potential expansions of existing non-profit accounts

-         sthughkofc (mailbox), lions (mailbox)

·         Potential conversions of existing Member accounts to non-profit status

-         civic/CCRIC, newdealcafe, gccucc, swimteam, tennis, gnsk, newsreview, opcoop, baltimoreopenband (list)

·         Potential new non-profit accounts now in negotiation

-         Greenbelt Cub Scout Pack 202, Greenbelt Girl Scouts, Parkside at Greenbelt

c.      New action items

·         Online Registration captured another new account (Carvalho).

 

11.  Webmaster (Neil McLeod)

a.      Old action items

1)     Post procedural decisions made during Board meetings. -  In progress

2)     Take ownership of WebMan's webpages. – In progress

3)     Solicit photographs for Community Gallery.

·         Process photos from Sharon Natoli. – No progress

4)     Upgrade GIAC website format. – In progress

·         Content Management System (CMS) will not be used—requires too much expertise for GIAC to support. - Done

5)     Integrate PayPal procedures into GIAC Website. – No progress

6)     Submit 2005 Annual Meeting notes [website report]. - Done

7)     Ask for copy of BooNet’s disk utilization script. - Not needed

b.      New action items

·         Adapt Ed’s original disk utilization script for Centerway server. – Done

 

12.  Director (Ed James)

a.      Old action items

1)     Send Boonet’s disk utilization script to Neil. – Not needed

2)     Upgrade Perl script program to determine disk usage. – Done by Neil

3)     Promote & support community WiFi usage.

4)     Organize & coordinate Greenbelt Linux User Group (GLUG). – In progress

b.      New action items - None

 

13.  Director (Anne Andersen)

a.      Old action items

Develop neighborhood webpages.

·         Get link from Neil listing neighborhoods.

·         Meet with Neil re Community Website standards.

·         Solicit content for neighborhood webpages.

·         Identify photographs needed / inform Neil.

b.      New action items - None

 

14.  Director (Phil Brandis)

a.      Old action items

Pursue GIAC tax-exempt status.

·         Met with Neil re Legal Committee status.

·         Discussed Articles of Incorporation.

b.      New action items - None

 

15.  Audit Committee (Mary Camp) [acting]

a.      Old action items

Complete 2003 & 2004 audit reports. – In progress

b.      New action items - None

 

16.  ISP Committee (Neil McLeod) [acting]

a.      Old action items

Develop and propose new service offerings. - No activity

b.      New action items

Propose rate reduction for first mailboxes and auto-forwards.

·         Working on proposal to reduce by 1$ - will have Peggy analyze cash flow.

 

17.  Legal Committee (Neil McLeod) [acting]

a.      Old action items

1)     Submit 2005 Annual Meeting notes [tax-exempt application]. - Done

2)     Review and update legal documents. – Ongoing

3)     Review contents of Legal Committee folder. – In progress

·         Committee (Neil & Phil) met on August 4.  Overviewed relevant background information and Phil is now absorbing all the folder documents.

·         Doug’s drafts are helpful and greatly appreciated but they will be carefully reviewed per his interesting comments therein.

4)     Document bank account signatory forms procedure. – Not needed

5)     Complete Resident Agent change forms.

·         Specify Peggy as the agent?

6)     Finalize Articles update proposal to Members.

7)     Complete Articles filing to Maryland.

8)     Finalize Bylaws update proposals to Members.

9)     Compete tax-exempt application to IRS.

10) Look for new bank for GIAC. (Neil) - Done

b.      New action items - None

 

18.  Membership Committee (Neil McLeod) [acting]

a.      Old action items

1)     Update membership forms and save as PDF files. (Mary)

2)     Need committee volunteers to support recruiting activities.

b.      New action items - None

 

=== OLD BUSINESS ===

 

19.  Prepare for Labor Day Festival. - Ongoing

SATURDAY

a.      Recruit volunteers for table. (Mary)

b.      Bring tent. (Peggy)

c.      Bring banner. (Neil)

d.      Coordinate New Deal Café WiFi connection. (Neil) – In progress

1)     Coordinate via Dorian Winterfeld

2)     Backup phone wire?

e.      Other preparations/supplies/handouts/pencils. (Mary)

 

20.  Discuss IKANO DSL service. – Tabled again [Peggy absent]

 

=== NEW BUSINESS ===

 

21.  Additions to Agenda

Electronic ballots

Voting webpage – ballots listed by date with no indication of content, can a descriptor be added? – Yes, Neil will handle

 

=== CONCLUSION ===

 

22.  Voice Mail Roster

Aug 07 - Aug 13   Neil McLeod

Aug 14 - Aug 20   Phil Brandis

Aug 21 - Aug 27   Anne Andersen

Aug 28 - Sep 03   Ed James

Sep 04 - Sep 10   Mary Camp

Sep 11 - Sep 17   Peggy Bates

 

23.  Scheduled Meetings

·         Monthly Meeting:  7:00 PM, Thursday, September 8, at Greenbelt Police Station

 

24.  Meeting adjourned at 8:38 PM

 

Respectfully submitted,

Terry Henderson, Secretary

August 24, 2005