Greenbelt Internet Access Cooperative
Monthly Board Meeting – October 2, 1997
Conference Room, Greenbelt Police Station
M E E T I N G M I N U T E S
DIRECTORS: Anne Andersen (late arrival), Jim Heagy, Doug Love (late arrival), Chris Morris (late arrival), Nancy Revis (Absent: Matt Elliott, Clement Lau, Neil McLeod; Resigned: Greg Meyer)
GUESTS: Ranie Crompton, Tom Crompton, Evelyn Hillier, Jay Williams
=== PRELIMINARIES ===
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00pm, with Nancy Revis presiding.
2. Leadership Transition
· Before the meeting, Greg Meyer sent an e-mail letter to all GIAC Directors informing them of his resignation as Vice President of GIAC. It was decided to fill Greg's position as soon as possible. Article V, section 4, of the GIAC Bylaws states, "A vacancy in any office because of death, resignation, removal, disqualification or otherwise, may be filled by the Directors for the unexpired portion of the term."
· Based on this authority, it was decided to fill the vice presidential seat at the meeting, as a willing candidate, Tom Crompton, was present. By unanimous vote, Tom Crompton was installed as a Director and the newest Vice President of GIAC (contingent on his becoming a Member, which he agreed to do).
=== MONTHLY REPORTS ===
3. Secretary (Jim Heagy)
4. Treasurer (Chris Morris)
· Chris distributed financial statements to each Director present and reported the share value at ~$57.
5. Membership Committee - No report
6. ISP Committee - No report
=== OLD BUSINESS ===
· GIAC classes held at the Greenbelt Library will remain on a rotating Mon-Tue-Wed schedule, i.e., every month the day shifts. Classes are generally held during the third full week of the month. The next class is "Internet Job Hunting", taught by Jim Heagy, to be held at the Greenbelt Library on November 18 at 7:00pm. At the time of the meeting, there was no class scheduled for December.
· A few other class issues were raised. The importance of running the "PC Basics" class on a regular basis was stressed. The possibility of videotaping this class was also raised.
· Finally, Nancy mentioned the possibility of buying an inexpensive computer for use in the classes. It is not clear whether we have the funds to do so at present.
8. Internet Service Provider
· Some of the recent connection problems are not entirely DSI's fault. Bell Atlantic (DSI's provider) has had a rash of switch malfunctions.
· At the time of the meeting, DSI had still not implemented a beeper system for informing them of connection problems. They had agreed to implement this system by August 30, 1997. Doug Love has agreed to be the point of contact to register outages. There is also a Hotmail account, GIAC_LOG (now discontinued), for reporting outages when the GREENBELT.COM mail server is down.
9. Nonprofit Status
· Chris Morris has looked into the issues surrounding a potential change to nonprofit status. There are two basic courses of action. The first (and perhaps easiest) is to dissolve the GIAC corporation and reincorporate under new bylaws. The second is to rewrite the bylaws to reflect the nonprofit nature. Chris is still looking into the specifics.
10. Community Events
· Doug Love volunteered to query the Membership by e-mail to see if there was interest in a GIAC presence at the Greenbelt New Year's Eve event.
11. Publicity / Promotions
· We still have 3 GREENBELT.COM polo shirts (2 large and 1 medium) selling for $22 each.
=== NEW BUSINESS ===
12. Webspace Allocation
· We are near the upper bound of our 10 MB allocation of webspace on DSI's web server and need to secure an additional 10 MB. This will require an extra $10/month.
· The possibility was also raised of Members who do not use their 0.5 MB allotment donating their space to other (needy) members. The pros and cons of this idea were discussed and it was generally agreed that administering this idea would be problematic.
13. Labor Day Festival
· Joanne Hindsley, the Labor Day Information Day Coordinator, wrote a letter to GIAC informing us that we may use the same table location for next year's festival.
14. Publicity / Promotions
· Jay Williams, a guest at the meeting and a professional in the Web-Based Art and Promotions business, generously offered to promote GREENBELT.COM by designing and placing a banner on the Daily Orbit website.
=== CONCLUSION ===
15. Scheduled Meetings
· The next meeting will be held at 7:00pm on Thursday, November 6, in the conference room at the Greenbelt Police Station.
16. The meeting was adjourned at 9:05pm.
- 10/__/97 Posted by Jim Heagy
- 05/15/00 Edited by Neil McLeod
- 09/01/05 Reformatted by Neil McLeod