Greenbelt Internet Access Cooperative
Monthly Board Meeting – December 4, 1997
Conference Room, Greenbelt Police Station
M E E T I N G M I N U T E S
DIRECTORS: Tom Crompton (late arrival), Matt Elliott, Jim Heagy, Clement Lau, Doug Love, Neil McLeod, Chris Morris, Nancy Revis (Absent: Anne Andersen)
MEMBERS: Jim Bates, Patty Merryman
=== PRELIMINARIES ===
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00pm, with Nancy Revis presiding.
=== SPECIAL MEETING ===
2. Proper notice having been given to the membership via postal mailing in November, most of the meeting was devoted to the potential change to nonprofit status and conducted as a:
after which the Board Meeting continued with regular monthly business.
=== MONTHLY REPORTS ===
3. Secretary (Jim Heagy)
4. Treasurer (Chris Morris)
· Chris distributed financial statements to each Director present.
5. Membership Committee (Neil McLeod)
· Neil distributed a service payment summary and a membership roster to each Director present.
6. ISP Committee (Matt Elliott)
· Matt reported that at least three ISPs have responded with proposals. One looks particularly promising and, in light of the recent problems with DSI, the need to make a recommendation soon was strongly emphasized. The ISP Committee recognizes the frustration these outages have caused and they are urging Members to please remain patient as the committee nears the conclusion of a very long search.
=== OLD BUSINESS ===
7. Internet Service Provider
· Members have again been plagued with busy signals, no answers, and e-mail server outages. One culprit has been a massive e-mail-sending campaign by one of DSI's own customers. DSI has been unresponsive to calls from GIAC members (including our President, Nancy Revis). The promised beeper system has still not been put in place and we continue to withhold payments.
· The December class is "Internet Relay Chat", to be held on Wednesday, December 17, and taught by Tom and Ranie Crompton. The January class is "PC Basics" on Tuesday, January 20, taught by Neil McLeod. All classes are held at the Greenbelt Library and begin at 7:00pm. Depending on class content, class lengths range from one to two hours.
9. Community Events
· It was agreed not to have a GIAC table for the Greenbelt New Year's Eve event at the Community Center.
=== NEW BUSINESS ===
· Doug Love reported that the City Clerk, Mr. David Moran, was agreeable to allowing GIAC to use the Community Center for GIAC activities.
· Doug also agreed to contact the Recreation Department to have GIAC recognized as an official Greenbelt organization (not as a "club", however).
=== CONCLUSION ===
11. Scheduled Meetings
· The next meeting will be held at 7:00pm on Thursday, January 8, in the conference room at the Greenbelt Police Station.
12. The meeting was adjourned at 8:50pm.
- 12/__/97 Posted by Jim Heagy
- 05/15/00 Edited by Neil McLeod
- 09/01/05 Reformatted by Neil McLeod