Greenbelt Internet Access Cooperative
Monthly Board Meeting – June 4, 1998
Conference Room, Greenbelt Police Station
M E E T I N G M I N U T E S
DIRECTORS: Anne Andersen (late arrival), Bill Dupree, Tom Crompton, Jim Heagy, Neil McLeod, Doug Love (late arrival), Chris Morris, Nancy Revis (Absent: Clement Lau)
MEMBERS: Patty Merryman, Claude Revis
=== PRELIMINARIES ===
1. The meeting was called to order at 7:00pm, with Nancy Revis presiding.
=== MONTHLY REPORTS ===
2. Secretary (Jim Heagy)
3. Treasurer (Chris Morris)
· Chris distributed financial statements to each Director present. Year-to-date income is approximately $600. Share value is $61.53, based on 75 Members.
4. Membership Committee (Neil McLeod)
· Neil distributed a membership roster to each Director present.
5. ISP Committee – No report
6. Legal Committee (Claude Revis)
· The committee (Claude Revis, Neil McLeod and Tom Crompton) has completed preparations for a membership vote at the upcoming Annual Meeting on several proposed changes to the Bylaws.
· Pursuant to GIAC's application for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status, the committee will also seek authority from the GIAC membership to develop proposed changes to the Articles of Incorporation, to be presented for approval at a later date.
=== OLD BUSINESS ===
· Tom Crompton reported that we are on track with classes; classes are scheduled for several months ahead. June's class (June 15) is a two-part class, "Tour of the Greenbelt Website" and "Electronic Greeting Cards", both taught by Patty Merryman. July's class (July 21), taught by Bill Dupree, is "Basic Windows 95". Classes are held in the large meeting room of the Greenbelt Library and begin at 7:00pm.
· Matt Elliott is reportedly interested in teaching a Linux class sometime. Geff King offered to teach a class on shell accounts.
8. Internet Service Provider
· Jim Heagy passed around a log of recent connection problems. Discussion over the origin of and solution to these problems was heated. It was pointed out that the frequency of problems has increased recently. SigmaNet experienced a major hardware failure recently and it is possible that the connection problems were precursors to this failure. After much discussion, it was agreed that detailed logs summarizing connection problems are crucial to their eventual solution.
9. Annual Meeting
- Due to a change in work assignment, Claude Revis withdrew his name from consideration for the Board. Bill Dupree announced his retirement from the Board. Nancy Revis also stated she was stepping down as President, but has agreed to remain on the Board.
=== NEW BUSINESS ===
10. Labor Day Festival
· GIAC will again have an information table at the Greenbelt Labor Day Festival. The participation fee is $50 [actually, $25 -Webmaster], which was approved by Nancy. We will be able to set up at the same spot we had last year (under the sycamore tree east of the doctor's offices). The information tables can be manned from 11:00am-5:00pm this year (longer than last year) and we can begin setting up at 9:30am (earlier than last year). As usual, volunteers are needed to help set up and man the table. We will again have a phone line and electric power to set up a computer.
11. Volunteer Incentive Program (VIP)
· Neil and Tom reported on a proposal intended to increase the volunteer base. Basically, the proposal would require each GIAC member (who purchases Internet service) to fulfill a monthly activity (requiring ~1-2 hours of time). Failure to carry out an activity would result in a $3 activity fee for that month. Failure to pay the $3 fee would result in suspension of service.
· The point was raised that most coops in the area have similar arrangements; members are given the choice of lower service fees, provided they fulfill certain duties. Discussion centered on the work involved in administering such a proposal, particularly for the Treasurer. A motion was made to implement procedures for such a proposal. The motion was seconded and passed unanimously (note that passage of the motion did not enact the program).
=== CONCLUSION ===
12. Scheduled Meetings
· The 1998 Annual Meeting will be held at 7:00pm on Tuesday, June 9, in the conference room at the Greenbelt Police Station.
· The next regular meeting will be held at 7:00pm on Thursday, July 2, in the conference room at the Greenbelt Police Station.
13. The meeting was adjourned.
- 06/__/98 Posted by Jim Heagy
- 05/15/00 Edited by Neil McLeod
- 09/01/05 Reformatted by Neil McLeod