GREENBELT INTERNET ACCESS COOPERATIVE

Monthly Board Meeting August 10, 2000

MEETING MINUTES


Attending: Gil Lee, Mary Camp, Peggy Bates, Doug Love, Neil McLeod, Ed James, Joyce Wineland, Bruce Kuhl, Joseph Notes, Jeff Travis and guest Leonie Penney.

1) Meeting was called to order a 7:05 pm.

2) Peggy Bates volunteered to be the recording secretary for this meeting.

3) Neil McLeod and Mary Camp added several items to the agenda, and the agenda was agreed to.

4) Secretary's Report - Neil McLeod reported on the posting of the minutes from the Annual Membership meeting, Annual Board meet, and the June and July Monthly meetings. Only the Annual Membership Meeting minutes need to be completed at this point. Neil will complete and post. The directors will review the minutes before the next board meeting and approve at the next meeting.

5) Vice President's report - Mary Camp reported on the success of the Class Planning open house and the upcoming class schedule. (See the August 10, 2000 Vice President's report Item IA and IB). - Mary Camp and Doug Love have been in contact with Joe McNeil of the Community Center about the cancellation of our reservation of the room for the June class. Joe McNeil apologized for the mix-up. He has also sent written confirmation of the upcoming reservations. - Neil McLeod has changed the wording of the posted class announcement as suggested in the July Monthly Meeting.

6) Treasurer's Report - Peggy Bates summarized the financial activity last month reporting a net income of $158.12. This includes our usual monthly income and expenses along with: Receipt of Federal and State income tax refunds; Accrual of the obligation to pay the ISP an additional $0.95 per account per month back to February; and the obligation to pay for the Quickbooks software. We have a negative net income for the year to date of $152.84, but expect to end the year with a positive net income, unless we spend. The full financial report for July can be found (link here) - Peggy reported on the investigation into purchasing equipment. After putting out an "Attention GIAC Shoppers" RFV (request for volunteers) she received several responses of people willing to do some on-line research for a fireproof container to store the CO-OP records in. Two candidate containers have been identified. Both are 2 drawer file cabinets rated to 1700 degrees for one hour. It was moved and seconded that Peggy be authorized to spend up to $500 for a container of this type. Discussion included a suggestion that the records could be scanned in and kept on a CD in a safety deposit box. After discussion the motion was passed unanimously. - Neil McLeod reported that all the financial information has been posted on-line.

7) System Administrator Report - Neil McLeod reported on the current membership (link here) - Neil reported that the Subscriber domain name attachment/e-mail routing through the ISP has been tested using CENTER Enterprises and has been shown to be successful. Domain Name attachment setup is $50 and e-mail routing setup is $25. - Joyce Brown believes Chesapeake has satisfied all the requirements of the April ISP Memo and is requesting back payment of the rate increase to February. Neil still believes there are outstanding issues, but was unable to communicate those to Joyce before the payment (without the increase) was sent this month. Neil has taken an action item to discuss this with Joyce ASAP. - Neil discussed several open issues with the ISP (not all are requirements for the back payment). Progress is being made with the CGI issues. There are still problems with the mail. There is a new issue with ftp - Chesapeake changed the access security last week without notification and many users unable to use their ftp access the way it had been set-up before the change. Without notification, the user is left to believe the ftp is suddenly "broken".

8) ISP Committee Report - Doug Love reported that the ISP committee met a Doug's house on August 3rd. They tested Ed James' hello.pl and it didn't work. They then modified it to avoid CGI system calls and that didn't work either. Dorian wants to talk with Joyce to have her activate CGI.

9) Legal Committee Report - There was no July meeting. The next meeting is set for Tuesday August 15th at 8 pm.

10) Audit Committee Meeting - There was no audit committee meeting this month, Carol Gordon is in Kansas. The next meeting will be when Carol returns. - There was a discussion about Carol's audit activities. They include back-checking the bookkeeper and drafting audit procedures for the next audit committee to use.

11) Board and Committee Vacancies - Gil has been in contact with several people. He wants to exhaust those avenues before putting another announcement in the News Review and Gazette. Jeff Travis has shown some interest in helping either in the roll of Secretary, or as a director investigating Electronic Fund Transfer for the CO-OP. Jeff will review the posted secretary's duties and let us know if he is willing to serve. Neil McLeod contacted the business members about volunteering, with no success.

12) An officer's meeting was held on August 3rd where the officers continued to review procedures and documentation. The next meeting is on Tuesday September 5th.

13) Activity Planning - The cyber-cafe has been put on hold for the time being because of all the other activities going on. - Labor Day Festival (See the August 10, 2000 Vice President's report Item IIA). - Discussions were held regarding the activities that need to take place before the LDF. Actions: - Gil Lee to purchase an awning (up to $50) before Mary has to attend the LDF information day meeting with Dave Pitts. - Doug Love to check on a vehicle for the parade - Doug Love to find out how many propellers he has for the parade of propeller heads. - Meeting to be held at Peggy's house on Monday August 28th to finalize LDF plans. - Website Harvest Party (See the August 10, 2000 Vice President's report Item IIB)

14) Community Website Appearance Neil McLeod requests that if anyone sees anything that looks "funny" while browsing the Greenbelt.com websites to please bring it to his attention. He has found that different browsers can do things that upset the look of some of the tables.

15) Overview of WIN 31 Connection Issues Neil McLeod (please summarize here)

16) New Initiatives - Mary Camp proposes to create a GIAC Linux Special Interest Group. She was encouraged by all there to proceed. - Mary Camp has investigated establishing the GIAC logo at Land's End for future application to articles (e.g. hats, shirts) to be sold at a later time. A discussion was held about the identity of GIAC in the community and how it is different from the product "greenbelt.com". Mary has offered to donate her credits for teaching GIAC classes to pay for the setup charges. No action was taken by the board at this time, although there is interest.

17) The next monthly meeting is Thursday September 14th.

18) Meeting was adjourned at 9:30 p.m.


Peggy Bates Recording Secretary August 10, 2000