GIAC Monthly Board Meeting - January 13, 2005
Conference Room, Greenbelt Police Station
M E E T I N G M I N U T E S
Present: Mary Camp (Acting Chair), Peggy Bates, Ed James, Doug Love & Neil
=== Preliminaries ===
The meeting was called to order at 7:10 PM (MC moved, NM seconded) .
The agenda approved unanimously. (DL moved, EJ seconded)
=== Visitor Presentations ===
Kyla Hanington and Stefan Ivarsson explained proposal to establish Greenbelt
International Family Network (GRIFN) website and gave demo of several pages.
Ms. Hanington joined GIAC to acquire mailbox and webspace while working on site.
When GRIFN is recognized by the city as a non-profit GIAC will donate the
mailbox and webspace.
=== Monthly Reports ===
Secretary (Mary Camp, Acting)
* December 9 meeting minutes with minor corrections were approved
unanimously. (DL moved, EJ seconded)
Treasurer (Peggy Bates )
* financial report being updated. Expect profit for 2004 to be negative.
* membership 47 dial-up accounts and 8 non-connection accounts. Total of
Vice President's Report (Mary Camp)
* planning to have a class in February.
* email members about Adobe Reader 7.0 and Thunderbird email program updates
available, put in link to download sites.
* check with city to see if GIAC is registered for this year.
President's Report (Doug Love, Acting)
* non-profit organization support discussion not done, will work on this
* New Deal Cafe Wi-Fi status has not checked. Thanked by Board for letter
in Greenbelt News Review about Wi-Fi.
* still need sign at cafe that Wi-Fi is GIAC sponsored.
System Administrator's Report (Peggy Bates and Neil McLeod)
* discussion of subscriber access to mailing lists - sophisticated with many
options. Discussed method and price to create, add moderator and users to
* no outstanding problems.
Webmaster's Report (Neil McLeod)
* behind on updating GIAC web pages.
* verified list in People directory.
* still working on upgrading News Review 's network speed and adding DSL
connection. News Review will drop Greenbelt.com dial up when DSL is working.
* has new digital camera, plans for more photos to web pages.
Director's Report (Ed James)
* New Deal Cafe Wi-Fi is up and down. Has checked with Dorian Winterfeld
about how it is working.
* waiting for Neil to finish with News Review before able to meet on disk
* will write up agenda for Thursday February 10th board meeting.
=== Old Business ===
Audit committee (Mary Camp, Acting)
* all but last item done for 2003 audit and then have the report to write.
* no volunteers for 2004 audit committee. Mary will do all of 2004 audit,
but someone will need to audit her account.
=== New Business ===
Additional Issues none
=== Conclusion ===
Voice and Email Roster: Don't forget to check GIAC@greenbelt.com
* Jan 09 Jan 15 Neil McLeod
* Jan 16 Jan 22 Ed James
* Jan 23 Jan 29 Mary Camp
* Jan 30 Feb 05 Doug Love
* Feb 06 Feb 12 Neil McLeod
* 7:00 p.m. on Thursday February 10th at the Greenbelt police station.
* Peggy Bates send latest contacts PDF to all; accounts database to Neil;
classified ad for News Review about @greenbelt.com address and New Deal
hot spot; make questionnaire on service; mail check to Centerway.
* Mary Camp finish audit; give receipts to Peggy; summary of classes for
year to Peggy; send email to members about updated programs and date for
all corrections to members' 2004 journal, check GIAC's status with city;
correct December minutes, write draft January minutes, send both to the
* Ed James schedule meeting with Neil to work on Perl program; compile
next Board meeting agenda.
* Doug Love prepare non-profit organization support material.
* Neil McLeod continue work with News Review on networking their DSL
connection; finish testing mailing lists and post approved rates; set up
Control Panel test account edjames.com.
The meeting adjourned at 9:00 PM approved unanimously. (EJ moved, DL seconded)
March 7, 2005
[CLOSE WINDOW TO GO BACK]