GIAC Monthly Board Meeting - June 9, 2005 Conference Room, Greenbelt Police Station M E E T I N G M I N U T E S
DIRECTORS: Anne Andersen, Peggy Bates, Phil Brandis, Mary Camp, Ed James, Neil McLeod (arrived late) === PRELIMINARIES === 1. Meeting called to order at 7:06 PM a. Meeting chair: Peggy Bates b. Meeting chair after 7:15 PM: Neil McLeod c. Recording secretary: Mary Camp 2. Introduction of Directors, especially newly elected Directors Anne Andersen and Phil Brandis 3. Changes to Agenda (including this new format) a. Proposals (additions/deletions) and Approvals b. Approval of Final Agenda (Peggy moved, MC seconded, unanimous approval) 4. Changes to Meeting Rules a. Proposals and Approvals - Approved agenda changes by late arrivals (after 7:10 PM) placed at the end of Additions to Agenda. - Repeating of discussion for late arrivals not allowed. - Off-topic comments and discussions not allowed (unless excepted). - Individual comments limited to 3 minutes (unless extended). - Topic discussions limited to 15 minutes (unless extended). - Scheduled guest presentations limited to 15 minutes (unless extended). - Unscheduled guest presentations limited to 3 minutes (unless extended). b. Approval of Final Rules (approved unanimously by electronic ballot June 20, 2005) 5. Presentations by Scheduled Guest (15 minute limit) None. 6. Presentations by Unscheduled Guest (3 minute limit) None. === MONTHLY REPORTS === 7. Secretary's report (Mary Camp) [acting] a. Old Action Items b. Identify all Minutes not finalized and approved. - Table for now. (Peggy moved, EJ seconded, unanimous approval) c. New Action Items (proposed by Neil) - Take ownership of Secretary's webpages. - Email all available draft and final Minutes to Neil for posting. - Email all other page updates to Neil for posting. - Learn FTP. 8. Treasurer's report (Peggy Bates) a. Old Action Items - Send latest contacts PDF to all. - Send accounts database to Neil. b. Financial Report - Reported at annual meeting. c. Membership Report - Making 2003-2005 history of returned mail. d. New Action Items (proposed by Neil) - Take ownership of Treasurer's webpages. - Peggy will update listing of what she does. - Email all other page updates to Neil for posting. 9. Vice President's report (Mary Camp) a. Old Action Items - Leonore Gooding's status. - She has moved to Waldorf and wants to keep her GIAC account. - Update membership forms and save as PDF files. b. Upcoming Classes - None scheduled in June. - Late July/early August "How to Buy a Computer" and "How to Buy Computer Peripherals". c. Proposed Class Topics - Firefox - Spyware tools - Q & A class for Photoshop - Desktop customization d. New Action Items - Take ownership of Vice-President's webpages. - Email all updates to Neil for posting. - Get L. Gooding's phone number for her local IKANO numbers. - Make sign for New Deal Cafe showing GIAC's sponsorship of its WiFi. - Email members about designing new GIAC logo. 10. President's Report (Director) [acting] a. Old Action Items - Changes to meeting rules. (Neil) - Done - Recruiting for Principals and Committees. (Neil) - Ongoing - Update posted Board procedures per past minutes. (Neil) - In progress - Enforce Board procedures. (Directors) - After Neil finishes updates b. New Action Items - Continue recruiting for Principals and Committees. - Ongoing 11. System Administrator's Report (Peggy Bates/Neil McLeod) a. Old Action Items - Report significant support activity during past month. - None - Report News Review account status. - Network is running fine. Two main computers need to be set up. Need to document procedures, settings, etc. and give orientation, then Neil will be done. b. New Action Items - Take ownership of Sysman's webpages. (Peggy) - Email all page updates to Neil for posting. (Peggy) - Send webmail service survey to Neil to post on web. Email members to respond. (Peggy) - Convert suspended accounts to GIAC account. (Peggy) 12. Webmaster's Report (Neil McLeod) a. Old Action Items - Post procedural decisions made during Board meetings. - In progress - Verify tools for managing user mailspace. - Not getting mailbox full notifications, will find out why. Peggy is getting notices and will send to Neil. b. New Action Items - Take ownership of Webman's webpages. - Continue solicitation of photographs for Community Gallery. - Continue solicitation of material for neighborhood webpages. - Discussed idea of using in pamphlets about GIAC. - Upgrade GIAC website format. - Inform Board when drafts are ready for review. 13. Director's Report (Ed James) a. Old Action Items - Upgrade Perl script program to determine disk usage. - Neil has cgi directory Ed can access. b. New Action Items - Take ownership of additional project(s). - Tabled till next meeting 14. Director's Report (Anne Andersen) a. Orientation b. New Action Items - Take ownership of project. - Tabled till next meeting 15. Director's Report (Phil Brandis) a. Orientation b. New Action Items - Take ownership of project. - Tabled till next meeting - Meet with Neil for GIAC website and voicemail orientation. 16. Audit Committee Report (Mary Camp) [acting] a. Old Action Items - Reschedule till after June 21 meeting with Peggy to finish 2003 and start 2004. b. New Action Items - Start 2004 audit. 17. Legal Committee Report (Neil McLeod) [acting] a. Old Action Items - Review and update legal documents. - Ongoing - Review contents of Legal Committee folder. - Next - Obtain bank account signatory forms. - Has forms and will document the procedure. Doug, Mary, and Peggy now have signature authority--Doug should be removed. b. New Action Items - Complete Registered Agent change forms. - Needs to know who will be the agent. - Finalize Articles update proposal to Members. - Complete Articles filing to Maryland. - Finalize Bylaws update proposals to Members. - Compete tax-exempt application to IRS. 18. ISP Committee Report (Neil McLeod) [acting] a. Old Action Items - Develop and propose new service offerings (mailing lists, threaded tech list, etc.). b. New Action Items - None. 19. Membership Committee Report (Neil McLeod) [acting] [Bylaws state that the Secretary, Treasurer and Sysman are members of this committee.] a. Old Action Items - None. b. New Action Items - Need people on committee. === OLD BUSINESS === 20. None === NEW BUSINESS === 21. Additions to Agenda a. Suggestions for next Annual Meeting. - Move voting to beginning of meeting. - Discussed better ways to control meeting so that it is shorter. - Discussion to consider if should have nominations from the floor. b. Discussion of possibly offering DSL service. - Continue in July meeting c. Prepare for Labor Day Festival. - Determine Information Day table location. - WiFi at New Deal Cafe‚ but what about electricity? - Recruit volunteers for booth. - Fill out application and send in fee. 22. Miscellaneous None === CONCLUSION === 23. Motions a. Motion: Greenbelt.com will create mailing lists for users at the following rate: initial set up of the mailing list for up to 200 addresses $5. Additional addresses of up to 100 at set up or added later $1. Monthly service is $2/month. (NM moved, EJ seconded, unanimous approval) b. Motion: To suspend Leonora Gooding's May service fee if she did not use her account during the month while she was in the hospital/ rehabilitation center. (Peggy moved, NM seconded, unanimous approval) 24. Voice Mail Roster Jun 05 - Jun 11 Ed James Jun 12 - Jun 18 Mary Camp Jun 19 - Jun 25 Peggy Bates Jun 26 - Jul 02 Neil McLeod Jul 03 - Jul 09 Phil Brandis Jul 10 - Jul 16 Anne Andersen Jul 17 - Jul 23 Ed James Jul 24 - Jul 30 Mary Camp Jul 31 - Aug 06 Peggy Bates 25. Action Items from Today's Meeting 26. Next Meeting - 7:00 PM, Thursday, July 14, at Greenbelt Police Station 27. Meeting adjourned at 9:59 PM (Peggy moved, EJ seconded, unanimous approval) Respectfully submitted, Mary Camp June 29, 2005 [CLOSE WINDOW TO GO BACK]