GIAC Monthly Board Meeting - January 7, 1999 Conference Room, Greenbelt Police Station M E E T I N G M I N U T E S
PRELIMINARIES The meeting was held in the Conference Room of the Greenbelt Police Station. Nancy Revis, President, presided over the meeting. The meeting began at 7:05 p.m. Board Members present: Tom Crompton, Jim Heagy, Doug Love, Neil McLeod, Chris Morris, Nancy Revis, Brian Schieber Guests: Nancy Allen, David Grey, Wilfred Saul, Ed James Others present: Patty Merryman, Bill Dupree CLASSES Tom Crompton: Although the attendence was small the class was successful and he would like to thank all the volunteers who helped set up and take down the room. The next class will be Windows 95 basics on Tuesday February 16th. This class will be done by Bill Dupree. Doug Love has had the projector serviced and thanks go to him as well. INTRODUCTIONS Nancy our president missed the introduction of our guests and so backtracked a moment to give them proper recognition. WEBMASTER'S REPORT We have not closed the books as yet. We are dead even as we gained two new members and lost two members. Our ISP service has been ok this month. If any one needs to contact me please use my email macro@greenbelt.com or call 701-758-4083. Don't bother Patty at home. COMMITTEE REPORTS We need an election committee to reach out to tap the membership. This should come together for March's meeting ISP COMMITTEE Two meetings this month at Generous Joe's. Had our first organizational meeting with Sanjay and Ashook about our move to a dedicated web server. SigmaNet has a Linux server so Brian, Doug, Neil and Ed will come up with a migration plan. We will have to have one day dual email to two servers. Ed James will work out cgi scripts after machine transfer. There will be no increase in rates for administration purposes. TREASURER'S REPORT The treasurer's report was distributed to those at the meeting. Chris Morris explained there is enough money in the General operating fund to cover expenses and our share value has risen to $71.21. It was explained that this is not what a person would get if the co-op dissolved but it was a good indicator of the financial health of the organization. It was moved to accept the treasurer's report, passed as motioned. MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE Bill Dupree will help out in this role until the elections. Also our president asked about the supply of membership kits. The secretary indicates that supplies are needed. Nancy Allen has volunteered to do kits, she needs approval for postage, raw materials and where they are needed. Greenbelt Homes Inc. has indicated it will be joining us around the end of February. AUDITING COMMITTEE AND FISCAL REVIEW Tom Crompton, Nancy Revis and Chris Morris volunteered to go over the membership journals, review the books and report, proceed from February, turn over materials and wrap up in March. We are behind. ACTION COMMITTEES 1. New Projector: Doug Love turned over material sources to Bill Dupree to investigate prices for a computer projector. He found they range in price from $1200 to $12,000 and will continue by checking rentals at Ritz Camera etc. Next we will approach companies about outright gifts of equipment. 2. Girl Scout Internet clsses: Papers were submitted with the course content and dates for access in the Community Church. GIAC must see if it conflicts with our regular class and if we have an instructor willing to give the class onsite. Decision tabled 3. E-mail Voting: Doug Love along with Neil McLeod discussed the necessity for getting things done between meetings. Neil will write up a proposal on implementation of a system where by the board can conduct some of its business online. 4. Bill Dupree will investigate voice mail vendors for pricing: the reason being to lift the burden of all hour trouble calls on our poor president. 5. We are also looking into a class provider to offload some of the class burden. We will check out a Hyattsville company. Tabled GIAC PRINCIPALS An official recommendation by the election committee that Bill Dupree fill the secretary's position left by Jim Heagy until June at which time we will re-elect him so he can't leave. Patty Merryman will canvass to fill Director spots. NEW BUSINESS A postal mailing will have to be made about the VIP program and clearing member's accumulated e-mail. Ann Duncan needs a Mac set-up we need to get the Mac Disks from Jim Heagy and a volunteer. Flyers must go out in June of 99 for officers and Board position vacancies. And last but not least: Our National Rate has doubled from $2.75 to $5.50. Everyone pays the new rate. This was a rate set up by Sigma Net. COMMENTS Our guest David Grey a highschool student asked if he could work with the webmaster in order to hone his skills. He would like to help organize or redesign parts of the Greenbelt.com website. His qualifications were that he was doing webmaster work at DigiWeb and was adept at support for Unix, NT and Solaris. Or maybe he could work on permissions and cgi scripts for his membership fee. The board put it off for consideration. NEXT MEETING The next monthly meeting is February 4, 1999, at 7 p.m. The meeting was adjourned at 10:00 p.m. William Dupree, Acting Secretary January 1999 [CLOSE WINDOW TO GO BACK]